Since 1844 the YMCA has flourished due to the determination and passion of volunteers to make a difference in their community, one life at a time.
Through the Y our members can volunteer to serve in their branch or through it with area organizations that seek to make our neighborhoods a better place to live, for all.
Imagine the positive influence for good when every one of our 80,000 members is serving alongside one another for lasting change!
At the YMCA we are committed to inspiring and empowering our members to live out our mission, supporting their cause-driven projects and programs – there is no limit to what we can do together through our association.
Spur-It of the Moment Volunteering –
Building a healthy spirit? Want to volunteer in the community ASAP? Contact one of these area organizations to find an available project immediately:
- Community Harvest Food Bank: volunteer as a food sorter - click here to register at the CHFB website; you will need to create an account, and then you can select an available shift at a time convenient to you, possibly in the next few days.
Go to Register for Programs and search under Volunteerism for ways to serve in and through the YMCA of Greater Fort Wayne!
Ongoing ways to volunteer in your Y or through the Y in our community:
In the Y –
- Ambassador Program: be the one to welcome new members to your Group X or cycling class.
- Child Watch Reader: invest in our youngest members with a good story and warm smile
- Youth Sports Coach: help build character into our student members
- LiveStrong: join or help lead a cancer support group that helps survivors regain their health and purpose in life.
- Trail Buddies: pedal our special Duet Bicycle, providing an outdoor bike ride to young and old alike unable to pedal themselves
- Advisory committee: join the board of your YMCA branch to help us better serve our members and the community
- Chaplaincy: a way for local clergy and ministers to be present in our branches to listen to and pray with staff and members looking for spiritual encouragement.
- Prayer Table: a way for members to be present in our branches to listen to and pray with staff and members looking for spiritual encouragement.
- Togetherhood: join in with other members to select and complete a community service project.
- Y Buddies: come alongside participants with disabilities and join in on YMCA programs together (click here to register as a volunteer).
Through the Y –
- NeighborLink Fort Wayne: serve a neighbor in need with practical repairs and upkeep to their home
- Habitat for Humanity: volunteer to build a safe, affordable home for a Fort Wayne family
- Rescue Mission: support men and women striving to escape homelessness, volunteer at Treasure House, or for Turkeypalooza in preparation for 3,000 meals at Thanksgiving.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northeast Indiana: become a mentor through the community based programs, school buddy program, or Real Men Read
- Associated Churches of Fort Wayne and Allen County: donate to their food bank, run in the Father's Day 5K Run/Walk, give needed supplies to newborn children
- Community Harvest Food Bank: stock shelves to serve families in need of healthy food
- Bridges of Grace Compassionate Ministries: sign up to help with homework, rehabilitate vacant lots, support neighborhood revitalization on the southside of Fort Wayne
- Blue Jacket Inc.: invest in men and women with felonies seeking employment
- Fort Wayne Parks Department: take time to help clean up a neighborhood park
- Vincent Village: clean and repair homes for families transitioning out of homelessness
- Parkview Hospice Services: volunteer to care for patients in hospice through a variety of programs: administrative support; tuck-in program making phone calls to ensure patients have proper supplies; pet therapy; bereavement support; vigil support.
- Coats For Kids: volunteer to transport donated winter items to sorting locations, as well as sort them, and then deliver them to local schools and organizations serving children.
- United Way Day of Caring: volunteer with almost 2,000 others from Allen County to serve in our city.
Scheduled Service Projects for 2019:
To register individuals, a group or corporate volunteer team contact Tim Hallman, Director of Christian Emphasis: 260.755.4964 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- January 21, YMCA MLK Day of Service —painting and cleaning
- February 26, 1-3pm, Bridge of Grace Compassionate Ministries - paint and clean a home
- partner with a south-side non-profit doing neighborhood revitalization
- March 21, 1:30-5pm, Community Harvest Food Bank - stock shelves
- Get a tour of the warehouse, learn about how CHFB serves our region
- Click HERE to register at CHFB - must create a volunteer account with them
- Volunteer for the whole 3.5 hours, or come for the first two hours, or the last two hours.
- April 7-13, National Volunteer Week - city parks & neighborhood yards
- put together a corporate volunteer group, civic service group, or church youth group
- we can customize a project for the size and interests of your group
- partner with the Y, NeighborLink and FW City Parks to volunteer in your community
- April 28, 12-4pm YMCA Camp Potawotami Clean Up - rake the beach, mulch trails, and more!
- located at 7255 E 700 S, Wolcottville, IN 46795
- free lunch at 12pm and t-shirt provided for volunteers who RSVP!
- May 4, 9am-2pm, YMCA Camp Kekionga Clean Up
- located at 3135 Elmhurst Dr, Fort Wayne, IN 46809
- free lunch at 12pm and t-shirt provided for volunteers who RSVP!
- June 15, Associated Churches Father’s Day 5K - course marshals, kids activities, packet pick up and more.
- July 8-12, NLFW Be A Good Neighbor Week - painting & repairs
- August 17-28, Germany Service Mission Trip
- August 21, United Way Day of Caring - mulch, paint and yard work
- October 22, Treasure House - sort and clean at the Rescue Mission thrift store
- November (TBD) Turkeypalooza - shred turkey for the Rescue Mission Thanksgiving meal
- November 18-21, Rake A Difference Week, leaf clean up for senior homeowners
- November 9- December 2, Coats for Kids - sort and deliver coats
- December 26, 2019—January 8, 2020, Chile Service Mission Trip
FEBRUARY 2019: Bridge of Grace Compassionate Ministries
January 2019: MLK Day of Service with NeighborLink and Vincent Village
December: Coats For Kids
November: Rescue Mission Turkeypalooza and NeighborLink Raking
October: Treasure House!
September: Welcome Week Events!
YMCA Volunteers with the Welcoming Week Roundtable on Immigration & Refugees in Fort Wayne
YMCA Volunteers with the Welcome Fort Wayne Diversity Awards Breakfast
August: Volunteering United Way Day of Caring!
July: Volunteering - Be A Good Neighbor Week!
May: Volunteering - Clean Up at Hodell Acres/Camp Kekionga
April: Volunteering - Clean Up at Camp Potawotami
More April Volunteering - with NeighborLink FW
February: Volunteering with Bridge of Grace Compassionate Ministries
January 2018: Community Harvest Food Bank:
January 2018: MLK Day of Serving - at Vincent Village:
Click below to fill out a volunteer interest form.