We accomplish our mission by teaching kids new skills that build self-confidence, character values, and leadership. We help adults and families lead healthy lifestyles. We connect older adults to an active support network. We provide outlets to give back to those in need. People engage with the Y on one level, but they soon find a deeper meaning to their activities and a connection to those around them. Ultimately, at its highest form, they feel compelled to reach out to their community by volunteering.
We partner with various organizations in Fort Wayne to give back to our community such as homeless shelters, churches, and non-profit ministries. If you would like to partner with us, please contact our Christian Emphasis Director, Tim Hallman at 260.755.4964.
Branch Advisory Board Member
Join the board of your YMCA branch to help us better serve our members and the community. Read the job description for Advisory Board members here.
If you are interested in applying to become a Branch Board member, please contact the Executive Director of the branch where you would like to serve.
YMCA Chaplains are local Christian ministers who volunteer a few hours a week in a branch. They are available to members and staff to listen, pray, and support your spirit in accordance with our mission and core values. If you are a local minister interested in our chaplaincy program, please contact Tim Hallman, Director of Christian Emphasis.
Read books to Children
Invest in our youngest members with a good story and a warm smile. Talk to your Youth & Family Director to learn more.
The Y is mobilizing thousands of volunteers nationwide who are using their creativity, passion and hard work to transform communities. We invite you to join us at participating branches! Currently, Togetherhood is offered at Skyline YMCA and Parkview YMCA branches. With Togetherhood, there are opportunities to serve on a committee throughout the year or volunteer on individual projects that interest you. If your Y doesn’t yet offer Togetherhood, let your branch leadership know that your’re interested and ask about other ways to volunteer and give back through the Y.
A few years ago, the YMCA invested in a unique bicycle adapted for giving rides to people with special needs. If you would like to volunteer to pedal our Duet Bicycle, please contact our Director of Adaptive Services Rebekah Coffey at 260.755.4961.
Be the one to welcome new members to your Group Exercise or cycling class. To find out how to become a Y Ambassador, please contact the Wellness Director at your local branch.
Youth Sports Coaches
Make a difference in the life of a child or teenager by teaching them skills for games (and for life). To find out how to become a Volunteer Sports Coach, please contact your local branch.
- Associated Churches of Fort Wayne and Allen County: donate to their food bank, run in the Father's Day 5K Run/Walk, give needed supplies to newborn children
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northeast Indiana: become a mentor through the community-based programs, school buddy program, or Real Men Read
- Blue Jacket Inc.: invest in men and women with felonies seeking employment
- Bridges of Grace Compassionate Ministries: sign up to help with homework, rehabilitate vacant lots, support neighborhood revitalization on the south side of Fort Wayne
- Coats For Kids: volunteer to transport donated winter items to sorting locations, as well as sort them, and then deliver them to local schools and organizations serving children.
- Community Harvest Food Bank: stock shelves to serve families in need of healthy food
- Fort Wayne Parks Department: take time to help clean up a neighborhood park
- Habitat for Humanity: volunteer to build a safe, affordable home for a Fort Wayne family
- Parkview Hospice Services: volunteer to care for patients in hospice through a variety of programs: administrative support; tuck-in program making phone calls to ensure patients have proper supplies; pet therapy; bereavement support; vigil support.
- Rescue Mission: support men and women striving to escape homelessness, volunteer at Treasure House, or for Turkeypalooza in preparation for 3,000 meals at Thanksgiving.
- United Way Day of Caring: volunteer with almost 2,000 others from Allen County to serve in our city.
- Vincent Village: clean and repair homes for families transitioning out of homelessness
Each year, the YMCA of Greater Fort Wayne offers opportunities to serve on a service trip overseas. Francisco Townsend oversees the trips. Register for one of our trips!